Home of the Doctor
Dr. Bartlett and his wife, Carrie Adeline 'Cad', came by train, to New Caney about 1897. New Caney was a flourishing sawmill town, providing a successful practice. He built this lovely Mississippi-style home from native virgin pine. Since there was no hospitals in the area, Carrie assisted him by caring for some patients in their home, thus qualifying this as the first hospital in New Caney.(to date, the only one)Soon after they moved into their beautiful new home, they welcomed the birth of their only child, Mary Lou, born in August 1998. Dr. Bartlett cared for all races and social strata, regardless of their ability to pay. His fee was sometimes paid with chickens, eggs, produce, meat or services such as laundry or housekeeping. During the big flood of 1900, the doctor had to swim Peach Creek to return home from a night house call. After leaving New Caney, Dr. Bartlett practiced in Bryan, Texas for a while. His health was becoming more tenuous and his goal was to cut down on his practice. When he learned that Dr. Ware was leaving Magnolia, he seized the opportunity, as he had always liked the fact that Magnolia was 'Dry' and he felt it was a good environment to rear 'Daut' as Mary Lou was called. Both Dr. and Carrie Bartlett are buried at Magnolia Cemetery.